Sunday 26 October 2014

My Nesthead!



So in my last post (here), I mentioned some Halloween costume ideas that I found to be very interesting. One of my favourites was the nesthead, because it did not require a full body costume. So while halloween candy shopping, I stopped by the dollarstore, picked up the materials for it, and tried making it myself!

Here's the nest! 



Materials I used:

Moss (I found a giant bag of dried moss that i thought looked similar to bird nesting)
Metal wiring (to hold the moss together)
Styrofoam balls (for the eggs)
Feathers
Berry branches
Plastic birds
Paint (depending on what colour your birds and eggs will be)
Brushes
Glue Gun
Exacto-knife

So first i took the moss out, expecting it to fall out in tiny pieces, which i would then have to glue onto the wire, but the moss actually formed a network and stuck together on its own pretty well. Nevertheless, i took the wire and threaded the moss that would be on top of my head and the parts that look like they might fall off. I also broke off a section to fall off the side, to make it look more messy, like the picture in my last post. 


Then I took the styrofoam balls, and cut them down to an egg shape with an exacto-knife. Then i painted them, and added some spots as well. I also painted my birds, which I found in the Christmas ornament section, and so were originally sparkly and green. 


I then took the berry branches (also found in the christmas section), and weaved it around the nest, the branches were bendy so i could twist it around, very handy!
I then added some feathers, to make it more nesty (thats a word, right?).


The final step is just gluing down the eggs and birds! and you have a nesthead for halloween! careful though, tiny fragments of moss keep dropping off on mine, so caution if you hate vacuuming.

What do you think? Is your Halloween costume all ready to go? I would love to see it! In case I dont post until November, I hope everybody has a happy Halloween! :)


- Genevieve


3 comments:

Thank you for your comments! I read and usually respond to every one. Feel free to leave blog links (I love discovering new blogs) but no spam please.

  1. Thank you! I would be glad to take a look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's amazing, you should be proud :)! I recently saw a blogpost for a homemade mermaid costume...all these crafty costume ideas make me want to get creative and start making things!
    xxx
    Tasmin | Grandiose Days Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I know how you feel, I hope you try crafting a costume, i would love to see it :)

      Delete
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...